Vitamins and Minerals are food for your brain.
I was at a supermarket this morning, I overheard two women discussing health drinks for their kids. What I could gauge from their conversation was how one of their children liked a certain health drink like Com[plan and the other liked Paediasure . They were also discussing the fussy nature of their kids when it comes to food or drinks.
Being a nutritionist by profession I could understand the importance giving balanced and nutritious food to their children for proper growth of their body and mind. But I doubt relaying on health drinks alone can fulfill this need.
Children and all of us need to eat food which have essential vitamins and minerals for a healthy body and sharp mind. Vitamins and minerals act as brain food are easily available in the regular food that we eat or rather should eat. Development for the brain is one of the most important processes in a child’s body.
Lets look at some of the most essential minerals:
- Copper is very essential for the brain. Natural sources of copper are mushroom. peas, beans and whole grain.
- Iron helps to make brain sharper. Good sources of iron is peanut, lentils, green vegetables, beans and fruits like apple and banana.
- Calcium helps to make your brain healthy. Calcium is found in leafy vegetables like spinach, pig weed, milk and milk products, lentils, fruits and vegetables.
- Magnesium also helps to make brain stronger. You can eat vegetables , fruits, milk, soybean to get magnesium.
- Floride help the brain to think and analyse and is found in soybean, water tea and coffee.
- Celnium help to keep the brain flexible and to get celnium you need to eat wholegrain,milk, cottage cheese and vegetables on regular basis.
- Potassium is equally important like magnesium. It is found in banana and oranges.
- Zinc help in proper functioning on brain. Scarcity of zinc can lead to incapacity to understand things in children. Good souces of zinc are whole grain,lentils,beans and walnut.
Lets look at some of the essential vitamins for the brain:
- Vitamin B is utmost important. It is found in sprouted beans, green vegetables and peanut.
- Vitamin B2 is found in milk, cottage cheese,green vegetables,tomato and dates, whole grain, dry peas, potatoes and green vegetables give us Vitamin B6 which keep your brain healthy. Milk, curd and cottage cheese provide Vitamin B 12.
- Next comes Vitamin C, which is available in tomato, citrus fruits like oranges,sweet lime, strawberries, ammla, cabbage and leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin E makes the brain stronger. It is found in tomato, green chilies, lentils, grains and spinach.
Apart from vitamins and minerals, some amount of fat is good for brain functioning, consuming small quantities of butter regularly, cow ghee, nuts like almond, cashew and walnut is good for growing children.