Mohan was very thin and his friend used to tease him calling ‘20 Grams’. His mother used to cook new recipes for him and his father used to force him eating them, but all in vein. He either used to vomit or used to throw away his food. He has become irritated also and this was affecting his study.
His uncle suggested his father to take him to doctor. Human weight should be as per their body mass metric. Too much weight and too less weight , both are unhealthy.
Usually children are fussy eaters and hence we find fluctuations in their weight everytime we take them to doctor. There can be many reasons to such weight lose but if there is continuous weight loss then it is a matter of concern.
1. Being too thin can be due to loss of appetite. It can be due to some stomach disease. And such people do not like to eat anything and slowly they become underweight.
2. Problem in intestine – in intestinal disease mucus is secreted . This mucus consist has high percentage of protein an it is excreted by stool. This way body protein goes out.This is common in wound or infection in large intestine, tuberculosis in intestine, typhoid, ulcer and bleeding in intestine.
3. Apart from this due to many disease person may be affected by hypercatabolic state, it means destruction of human cells become faster.
4. Blood also has lot of protein and in disease like hookworm lot of bleeding can lead to weight loss. Similarly in women infection of overy can lead to bleeding nad consequent weight loss.
5. Liver Infection – In liver infection stomach muscles tend to accumulate water, this water has lot of protein which is taken out by surgery or by medication.
6. Tendency of vomiting – some children has tendency to vomit . acidity in stomach can also lead to vomiting and in vomiting the entire undigested food comes out. The body does not get sufficient food and hence body looses weight.
7. Viral fever – few viral fever take 6-7 days but few can take months to recover. This lead to loss of apetite and can cause hypercatabolic state.
8. AIDS – the first symptom if AIDS is continuous weight loss.
9. Intestinsl worms – it is a very common problem. Worms in intestine eat away the protein in food hence the person loose weight. These people usually eat a lot but due to worms their body does not get any protein.
10. Thyroid disease – thyroid problem can be of two types – In hyper thyroid, where thyroxin is discharged more than what is required and this lead to hypercatabolic state which destroys the important substance from body and hence person start loosing weight very fast.
11. Weak functioning of adrenal gland also lead to lower weight.
12. Many mental diseases also help in losing weight. Like depression ,Mental retradedness – here the person loses his sense of hunger
13. One more reason of loosing weight can be low absorption of protein washing off of important minerals and vitamins with urine and stool. Like in diabetes. Wherein body glucose is excreted with urine. A healthy person needs glucose to perform his work. It is the source of energy. In diabetes the food is not digested properly and the body cannot absorb the glucose which is excreted.
Low absorption of protein can also be due to – hot weather.
Diarrhoeal in children
Indigestion of milk, or lactogen sensitivity.
Tuberculosis in intestine -lung T B can be detected very easily bit TB in intestine is not easy detectable.
Cancer or swollenness of pancreas and liver.
Gallbladder dysfunctional. – gallbladder produces bile , which help in digesting oil, fat and when there is any disease in gall bladder ,the body cannot absorb the necessary substances properly.I n this condition the urine colour and colour of cornea becomes yellow.
What to do?
Losing 1 or 2 kg weight is not a matter of concern but constantly losing weight is danger. As it suggest that the body is sick. Observe if you have any skin disease and it is not curing for long.
See if you have any nodules in hands or legs, if you have constant stomachache and have problem in passing urine or stool.
Visit the doctor.