Mental tension is not a disease. It is a state of mind, and the main cause behind it is the feeling of insecurity and uncertainty. Some of you may be uncertain about meeting your monthly target, so you become tense. Some of you may be insecure about your children’s result in school, so you become tense. The feeling of insecurity and uncertainty brings worry, and worry leads to tension. Tension is like a slow poison.
One main reason for increasing incidences of people suffering from mental tension is lack of rest. Nowadays, due to economic compulsions, both the husband and wife need to mutually take responsibility for managing both the work front and home front, and sometimes, due to this, they do not get proper rest. As a result, they feel tired, restless and cannot perform their work properly. Slowly, tension builds and affects health.
When asked how they relieve their tension, many women answered that they either cry or try to divert their minds by visiting temples and, in many cases, commit suicide. For men, smoking and consuming alcohol is found to be closely associated with mental tension. Moreover, in some cases, the consequences can be bad and can lead to depression and nervous breakdowns.
All these are easy but wrong ways to relieve tension. There are some slow but positive changes that can really work wonders in long run, such as:
- Entertainment is very important. Many of you think of using your time for finishing your work rather than wasting it on entertainment, but entertainment is important. It relaxes your body and mind and infuses extra energy that can keep you going.
- For women, it is important to keep some things for themselves. Try to go shopping or go out with children and friends. Pamper yourself in beauty parlours.
- For men, it is advised to spend time with family and take them for holidays. Go to clubs and play games, or go to gym to work out.
- Listening to music for at least thirty minutes has a very positive Impact. You need not require taking out time for music; just switch it on and do your work.
- Meditation and yoga are great ways to relieve tension.
- Having adequate sleep is equally important, and when you are going to sleep, just leave tension at the doorstep of your bedroom.
- Try to share your problem with someone you can trust.
- Never overburden yourself. Take the responsibility that you can handle and work towards it.
Finally, think about good things in life that you have and believe that there will be a lot more.