Sunscreen is used to prevent sun burn or suntan. During summer it is essential to apply sunscreen to protect our skin from harmful ultraviolet rays of the Sun. Let us understand what is sun burn and suntan and how effective is sunscreen?
Sun burn or Suntan can cause the colour of skin to becomes dark. At worse your skin becomes thick, rough and sometimes it may lead to rashes, itching, headaches and fever.
To protect your skin from these ultraviolet rays we must use sunscreen lotions which has SPF. SPF is a rating factor which tells the intensity of the particular sun screen to protect your skin.
Sun screens are of two types : Physical sun screen and chemical sunscreen.
Physical sunscreen has SPF 20 but has less chemicals whereas Chemical sunscreen has more than 20 SPF but it also has more chemicals. Chemical sunscreen has better intensity to protect your skin from ultraviolet rays, but its higher chemical content can harm your skin. It is thus advisable to buy a Physical sunscreen.It is also important to use sunscreen effectively. Many people still do not know how to use a sunscreen.
- Sunscreen should be applied 20 minutes before stepping out in the sun.
- Use a cream based sun screen which not only protect your skin, but also moisturizes it.If you have an oily skin then use calamine based sunscreen.
- You can apply sun screen even if you are not stepping out in the sun. You can use SPF 15 sunscreen while at home.
- Use a waterproof sunscreen when swimming.
- Apply sunscreen all over your body. Many people have the habit of applying sunscreen only on their face and hands.
- Avoid your eyes when applying sunscreen. You can use an undereye cream instead.
- Avoid sunscreen during your morning walk. During early morning the sun rays are not intense and spending some time in the Sun can fulfill your body’s Vitamin-D requirements .
Apart from using sunscreen there are some general guidelines to protect our skin from sunburn.
- Use an umbrella whenever you go out in the sun.
- Wear shades if possible, it will protect your eye from harmful UV rays of the Sun.
- Always carry a bottle of water. You can add glucose and drink it frequently.
- Eat leafy green vegetables and fruits enriched with Vitamin-C such as oranges & sweet lime. They contain antioxidants that will protect our skin.
There are some home remedies to get rid of sunburns if you have any.
Curd is excellent for removing Sun tan. It also has a soothing effect that reduces itchiness & redness.
Lemon is a natural bleach. Applying lemon juice mixed with few granules of sugar regularly will slowly remove the tan and will make your skin fairer.
Cucumber is also very effective. Some people have a burning sensation when they use lemon juice due to its acidic properties. Such people can apply cucumber juice mixed with a pinch of turmeric and leave it for 10 minutes.
Alternatively you can cut a slices of cucumber or potato and rub it over the affected area.
These home remedies are safe and can be applied on all skin types.