Sleeping disorders are increasing and becoming a very common health problem. A research by Scientists from Ministry of Health, in India have says that one out of every twenty people have a sleeping disorder. It also states that it is more common in women than in Men
Having a sleeping disorder means you lack sleep, not been able to get deep sleep, feeling restless while sleeping, getting up more than four times while sleeping, snoring while sleeping or talking while sleeping.
Almost one-third of our life is sleeping. Sleeping helps relax our muscles, give us energy, and gives us strength to continue our work. Psychologist say that people who do more physical work should sleep for eight hours, but those who do mental work need to sleep more. Adequate sleep is very important for human body, but due to today’s myriad of lifestyles and work pressure; most of you compromise on your sleeping hours.
Lack of sleep has adverse effects on your health and behaviors. People who habitually sleep less, feel mentally, and physically fatigue. Sometimes tension, anxiety, and insecurity also causes sleeping disorder. Eating more than appetite, smoking, drinking or taking any other narcotics can lead to sleeping disorder.
There is an old saying that if you do your work honestly and lead a simple lifestyle, you will be able to sleep like a horse. People who are not honest and do wrong things are afraid of the results of their deed and thus cannot sleep well.
To sleep well and get rid of your sleeping disorders, following can be done –
- Live a simple planned lifestyle, which includes getting up early in the morning, exercising, finishing work on time, relaxing, and sleeping early.
- Leave all tension, anxieties, and fear before going to bed.
- Keep the room neat, clean, and well organized. It is said that an unorganized room creates confusion physically and mentally.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress. It should not be too soft or hard. Maintain bed hygiene, that is the bed sheet, bedcovers, pillow covers should be clean.
- Eat adequately in night. You cannot sleep with an empty stomach. Moreover do not overeat because a heavy dinner can cause digestion problem and you will not be able to sleep peacefully.
- Eat your dinner at least two to three hours before going to bed.
- Wear comfortable clothes when you are going to sleep.
- Listening to music or reading a book is helpful.
- In the summer, taking a bath before going to bed is recommended.
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee before going to sleep.
- Keep the room well ventilated and airy.
Finally, consult a doctor if you have any other health problem like high blood pressure, diabetes or any other problem that is hindering your sleep.