Neeta was extremely happy going back home on Monday as her school teacher informed about next week’s South India excursion trip. She was planning her shopping all the way. At night she took her dinner early and went to sleep. The next morning she was feeling feverish and uneasy. She was sneezing and her head was reeling. Her mother took her to the doctor and he prescribed some anti allergic and antibiotic medicine. Days passed and Neeta could not go to school although she had enrolled her name through a friend. Neeta was not well and her parents were concerned how she will be able to manage an out station trip. Her grandmother suggested some home remedies , that she belived could help Neeta.
Cold and flu can happen in any season but sometimes it become so severe that we feel helpless. It usually takes 5-7 days to recover even if we are taking antibiotics. There are some home remedies to get some relief.
- In case of extreme cold and flu, which is associated with body pain, sore throat then make a paste of soonth ( dry ginger) with Lukewarm water and apply it over nose.
- Take 2 cups of water and add ¼ tablespoon of soonth, 5 basil leaves, ½ inch cinnamon, 5 Pipal nad boil it till it reduces to half and then sip it hot like tea.
- Increase intake of fruits loaded with Vitamin C like oranges, lemon, aamla etc.
- Chew 2-3 cloves of garlic everyday.
- Saffron is by nature heat producing so drinking saffron in warm milk is good.
- Turmeric also is known for its antibiotic properties , in case of cold and extreme body pain boil 1 tablespoon of turmeric in a cup of milk and drink thrice a day.
- Drink some hot beverages like herbal tea, soup etc.
- Eat khajur with milk and use ginger in your daily food preparation.
- If you have sore throat gargling with lukewarm water mixed with half tablespoon of salt is recommended. Follow this at least twice daily for effect.
- If you have congestion then taking hot water steam will help. Pour some eucalyptus oil in the hot water and then cover your face with a towel. It will relive you instantly. You can use any Balm like amrutanjan or tiger balm also in case you do not find eucalyptus oil handy.
There are some hygiene factors which we should follow along with home remedies.
- Wash your hand frequently. Flu is contagious and most of the time we catch virus every time we touch others or things touched by others.
- Do not touch your face frequently particularly if you have any flu patient with you.
- Cigarette smoking aggravates cold and flu so do not smoke.
- Common usage things like door knob, remote control, wash basin, switch board should be wiped with damp cloths.
- Keep towel separately.
- Use tissue paper if possible but do not throw your used tissue paper here and there. Throw it in dustbin.
- Yoga like pranayam helps a lot in getting relief.
- Do not take tension. If you are not feeling well then take rest. Otherwise you will become more stressed out and will have more health problems.
- Try to keep your body warm.
- Take your bath regularly in lukewarm water even if you have fever.
Neeta recovered by Saturday evening and today she posted her excursion photos on Facebook.