Neha, was very fond of fast food and every time she used to go out with her parents and friends she used to grab chocolates and soft drinks…… her parents were worried as she was having more outside food than eating home cooked food. One day she came from school complaining of a stomachache. Her parents took her to the doctor. The doctor prescribed some medicine and asked her not to have outside food, but that didn’t stop Neha from having her favourite foods, she now started buying them while coming from school and having it quietly in her room. Her parents observed that she was not eating properly and frequently complaining of stomachaches. One day while she again had stomachache ,her parents took her to the doctor, and after ultrasound they found a stone in her gall bladder.
Gall bladder stone is a very common but avoidable health problem.
The prime reasons for developing stone in gallbladder are –
- Drinking less water.
- Too much exercise.
- Eating more nonvegetarian food.
- Drinking alkaline water.
- Urinating very less or after a long duration, for example urinating twice or thrice in a day.
- Eating too much salt.
- Eating chocolates or drinking tea and coffee.
The common Symptoms are –
- Extreme pain in the lower abdomen.
- Urinating very slowly or not being able to relieve one self completely.
- Loss of appetite.
- High fever along with cold sensation.
What to eat if you have stone in the gall bladder?
1. Drink coconut water every day. It has potassium and magnesium which help in throwing off the stone while urinating. For a similar reason eat almonds also.
2. Drink fruit juices.
3. Lemon has citric acid which prevent development of stone.
4. Eat oats and barley they have more fibre. Similarly, lentils and germinated grains should be eaten.
What not to eat if you have stone in the gall bladder?
1. Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates.
2. Avoid nonvegetarian food completely.
3. Avoid grapes, tomatoes, mushrooms, cauliflower, brinjal as they have more calcium phosphate and uric acid.
The good news is stone in gallbladder is curable. There are some homeopathic and allopathic medicines. If it is not cured then one may need to under a minor surgery
Do not avoid stone in the gall bladder or else it might affect the kidney also.