People ofter complain of lack of good sleep in metro cities. Lack of sleep can make us tired and irritated. People who sleep adequately usually have a good mood and are cheerful, whereas people who do not get adequate sleep are found to be frustrated and get agitated very easily.
There are some do and don’t’s that can get us a good sleep:
- Early to bed and early to rise make us healthy, wealthy and wise.
- It is important to go for a morning walk and do some light exercises. The fresh air(available during early morning) provides more oxygen, and the sunlight provides the energy your skin needs to make vitamin-D that can help us get a good sleep.
- Eat your food 3 hours before going to bed and then go for a walk/stroll. It helps in proper digestion of food.
- Avoid eating heavy food – food that is too oily and spicy. Eat less than your appetite.
- Wash your hands, feet and face & change into fresh sleeping cloths before sleeping.Wear comfortable loose fitting cloths while sleeping.
- Try to avoid thinking about problems in your life. Instead listen to soft music or read something light.
- Keep your room airy and clean.
- Do not consume tea or coffee just before going to bed.
- Do not sleep on a high pillow. Try to use a pillow that will keep your head at the same level as your shoulders.
- Different people have different sleeping requirements. Some people can sleep for 4-5 hours and feel refreshed,while some people need 9-10 hours.Do not compare yourself with others. Sleep until you feel refreshed.
- Make sure that your bedroom is not too bright or noisy.
- Your mattress should neither be too soft nor too hard. It should be comfortable. You should change your mattress, if you frequently experience body/back ache after getting up.
- Place your bed in such a way that it gets adequate sunlight during the day.Alternatively you can put your mattress and pillows in sunlight for 1-2 hours (once in a while).
- You can drink warm milk before going to bed.