Salt is very important for our body. Salt mixed with lukewarm water is beneficial and can relive many health problems.
The unique property of salt is that it should be used in the right quantity, be it in cooking or in our body. Salt in a right amount can bring out & often elevate the taste of the food, however excess salt can make food taste bad. Similarly if a person consumes more salt it is bad for his or her health, particularly for people with high blood pressure. If there is a lack of salt in our body we feel exhausted, our blood pressure will go down and we may also faint. This is the reason why we feel tired when we are fasting (during fast the level of salt in our body goes down).
Lukewarm water mixed with salt can works as an excellent pain reliever. You can use salt water solution as follows –
- For tired feet – whenever you feel tiredness or pain in your feet and toes take a wide bucket of lukewarm water and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Soak you feet in this water for 10 minutes. This will gives an instant relief.
- To get relief from swelling and pain – if you have swelling and pain in any part of your body then take a muslin cloth and keep 2 tablespoons salt in the middle of the cloth then tie the ends to make a ‘potli’. Heat Tawa or a Pan and warm the potli by placing the potli briefly on the Tawa or Pan. Pick the potli and slowly massage the affected area with this potli. Do this for 5-10 minutes.
- To treat sore throat –Gargling with salt water is a time tested solution for sore throat. In case of sore throat or pain in throat take a glass of lukewarm water and add 1 tablespoons of salt and gargle with this water. Follow this at least thrice a day.
- To treat swelling or pain in gums – In case of any infection or pain in gums take a glass of lukewarm water add a tablespoonful of salt and then take a small sips of this water, keep it in the mouth for 2 seconds and then throw. Follow this procedure for 5 minutes.
- To treat blocked nose – In severe cold our nose often gets blocked and we have problem with our respiration. There are many anti-nose blocking drops available in the market but a simple solution is to take about 5 tablespoons of lukewarm water and add ¼ tablespoonful of salt. Put this water using a dropper in your blocked nostrils.
- To get relief from body pain and tiredness – If you are feeling very tired and the body is paining after the day’s job then simply take a bucket of lukewarm water and add 2 tablespoons of salt. Let the salt dissolve in the water and then bath with this water. Remember not to step immediately into an aircon room after your bath and put on your cloths immediately to maintain the temperature.
- To get relief from eye infection or sticky eyes – many people have sticky eyes so the moment they get up from sleep they find that they cannot open their eyes properly. This can also happen due to change of season. Such people should form a habit of cleaning their eyes with salt mixed lukewarm water after waking up from sleep. Follow this for a week and then whenever the problem re-occurs. Similarly many people and children have eye infection such as conjunctivitis. In tropical countries this is common during summer and rainy season. Conjunctivitis is contagious. Salt mixed with lukewarm water is used for hot compression which not only relive pain but also helps in curing.