Habits die hard, but quitting a bad habit is not impossible. Smoking is injurious to health, and all know it, but even after knowing this many people cannot quit smoking. Quitting requires strong will power and the support of family and friends. According to an estimate, in almost 49% of cases people do not quit smoking completely, but they become occasional smokers. However, the line between occasional smokers and chain smokers is very thin. Here are few tips that can help you to quit smoking.
- Find a reason to quit smoking – if you find a strong reason to quit, then it becomes easier. The simplest and best reason is that smoking is bad for your health. In many studies it has been proven that people who smoke have twice the chance of developing lung cancer than those who do not.
- Moreover smoking not only kills the person who smokes but harms his entire family. Early death caused by smoking leaves the family in distress, and when the smoker is the earning member of the family it brings in economic problems along with the emotional distress to the family.
- Talk about your willingness to quit smoking to your family and close ones – It is always better to communicate with your family and friends about your wish to quit smoking so that they give you support. When you get positive feedback and support you will feel motivated to quit smoking. Moreover they will try to create an environment that will help you to quit smoking.
- Stress – Stress and smoking go together so if you can avoid stress, you will be able to quit smoking. Many people turn to smoking when they are stressed out. To avoid stress try going for a morning walk and exercise. Meditating and deep breathing regimens also help. If you are stressed out listen to your favorite music, go for a holiday, or simply spend time with your children/ family/ friends.
- Drink tea or coffee. Many in order to quit smoking use tea and coffee and also to lessen headaches and anxiety. But tea and coffee have caffeine and thus overuse can be harmful in large amount. If you feel restless then follow the advice of a specialist. Chewing fennel seeds or cardamom can provide temporary relief.
- Clean your house and wardrobe. It is important to keep yourself busy. If you are idle you will want to smoke so divert your mind with work that you have not done so far like cleaning, decorating your house or simply cleaning your wardrobe.
- Keep your room well ventilated and throw away things associated with smoking. It may sound very stupid but things associated with smoking, like the smell of cigarette in your bed room or study room, is sufficient to tempt you to smoke. Similarly ash trays or a empty packet of imported cigarette can also remind you to smoke.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables have natural fiber that helps to detoxify your body. Most people who smoke do not like to eat fruits and vegetables as smoking kill their taste buds. They only like to have spicy and rich food. Regular intake of fruits will slowly remove the toxics from your body.