Indian Yogasanas are now followed all over the world as an alternative to exercises. Yoga can not only make your body fit, but they can also cure many modern health problems. In Indian epics Yogasana has been described as a way to purify the mind and body.
Yoga can be practised by the young and old, men and women & sick and healthy.Yoga does not have any side effects but there are certain precautions to follow:
- Before you start practicing yoga you should consult an expert yoga trainer. The trainer will be able to suggest yoga postures as per your body requirement and will also demonstrate the correct way for each postures.
- Always practice yoga in a clean & clutter free place. If you are practicing yoga in a room then make sure that the room is not messy or cluttered. Use a clean yoga mat or a thin carpet while practicing yoga.
- Drink a glass of lukewarm water, 20 minutes before doing yoga. It helps in removing toxins from the body.
- In summer, practice yoga in an open space such as terrace or in your neighbourhood park.
- In winter or rainy season, yoga should be practiced at a place where there is abundant natural air.
- Never force yourself during yoga. The flexibility of your body will improve slowly as you keep practicing regularly.
- Try wearing comfortable cloths that helps in free movement.
- Old , weak and young children should practice young for a short duration like 10-15 minutes only.
- Pregnant women should not practice many yoga postures. They can however do some light yoga after consulting an expert.
- A heart patient should not practice certain Yoga postures such as Shirshasana, Dhanurasana, Shubhasana. People who have an infection in the ear, redness in eyes or acidity problem should avoid Shirshasana, because during Shirshasana the blood flows towards from the lower body to the head.
- Yoga should not be practices until 6 hours after having food or on an empty stomach.
- In winter, after practicing yoga do not go out in the open air as it can disturb the heat balance in your body.
- Always be calm while doing yoga.
- While doing a difficult yoga posture, you can breathe in between.
- Practice yoga till the time you are comfortable. The moment you feel tired you should stop.
- After your yoga, have something light after 45 minutes to 1 hour. Some great choices are sprouted lentils, milk or fruits.
- Try to keep your eyes close while doing yoga. It helps in better concentration.
- Avoid tea (with milk) if you are practicing yoga.
- For women, avoid practicing yoga during your periods.
- In yoga exhale while leaning forward or relaxing and inhale while sitting or leaning backwards.
- Obese people should avoid Halasana,Vipritjkarni and Mayurasana as the body fat will hinder proper posture.
- People who have regular headache or have history of head injury should not practice Shirshasana, Chakrasan and Sarvangasana.
- People who have joint problems should avoid Padmasana, Bajrasana.
Finally after practicing yoga unwind by lying down on the mat in Shavasana and trying to calm down all your thoughts.