I used to suffer from Insomnia, and ignored it completely. It affected my health and well being. After bringing a few changes in my lifestyle and routine without any medical help, I regained my sleep. I sleep like a log these days. Let me share with you my story.
I used to see Mrs Sen, My neighbor, keeping their pillows and blankets in sunlight every alternate day and always wondered why is she doing so? One day I asked her and she told me the secret….. The secret of her good sleep.
Sleeping is a natural process. All living beings sleep be it animals or humans. Young babies sleep for about 18-20 hours whereas an adult sleeps for about 6-7 hours. It is an interesting fact that all the biological processes are active while we sleep. When sleeping our brain secretes serotonin hormone which helps in sleeping.
Good sleep is necessary for good health but due to today’s hectic lifestyle people do not get adequate sleep. Inadequate sleep has repercussions’ on our health, beauty and behavior. Health wise if we do not sleep adequately or suffer from insomnia then we will feel restless and lethargic….. lack of sleep clearly shows on our face and the most prominent example is dark circles….. Lack of sleep makes us irritated and distracted.
There are some simple changes that can bring you good and adequate sleep and get rid of your Insomnia.
- Try to maintain a proper time for going to bed and sleep at least for 7 hours.
- Keep minimum lighting or lit dim blue or green light in the bedroom. Use room fresheners if possible.
- Try to forget about the tensions and problems of your daily life. You will have next 15-16 hours for it after getting up.
- Try to take your meal in the night. Never sleep empty stomach and try to take your meal 2-3 hours before sleeping.
- Try to keep your bedsheet and pillow covers clean.
- Place your bed in such a way that you get proper sunlight during the day and good ventilation in the night.
- Try to keep your pillows in the sunlight every alternate day… it helps to kill germs.
- Get a bath and wear light cotton cloths if possible.
- Try to avoid smoking or drinking alcohol before going to bed.
- Never take sleeping pills. If you are not being able to sleep then read some books or listen to your favorite music.
- Try to get a head message if possible.
- Going for a walk after dinner also helps in good sleep.
These are simple changes that we can bring in our routine………..However if you are still not getting proper sleep then my advis is visit a doctor.