Mustard oil has been primarily used as cooking oil in parts of India, Burma and Nepal. Mustard oil has a distinctive smell and pungent taste which makes it a preferred choice for making fish curries, meat curries etc.
Mustard is a very versatile ingredient; in fact the whole mustard plant is edible. Mustard leaf is cooked with spices to make a popular Indian curry called ‘ Sarson Ka Saag’. Mustard seed is grounded along with coriander and cumin to make ‘ Masala’ for curry preparation in various parts of India.
Mustard oil as experts say has much less content of cholesterol compared to other vegetable oils. It has also been used since ages, as a home remedy to cure common cold. According to Ayurveda Mustard oil is the most beneficial oil followed by castor oil.
Some of the health usages of mustard oil are as follows:
- It is used for body message for years as it is one of most quick absorbing oils.
- Mustard oil can be used to massage rough hands. In winter specially when the skin become coarse and flaky, massaging the hands with mustard oil twice can make them soft.
- During winter season apply mustard oil on your body and sit under sunlight for 10-15 minutes. This will make your body warm and skin tanned.
- Massaging young babies with mustard oil under sunlight protects them from common cold and cough.
- When you have severe backache or muscle cramps, take a pinch of camphor and add it in mustard oil and massage the area twice daily.
- To remove dead skin take four tablespoon of besan ( gramflour) and add a tablespoon of mustard oil and mix. Apply this on skin and message the skin slowly. You will see dirt and dead cells will come out with besan.
- Mustard oil can be used to treat bleeding gum problems. For this take ½ tablespoon of mustard oil and add a pinch of ‘ Sendha namak ‘, fasting salt or regular salt and message your teeth and gums daily. Mix honey and mustard oil in equal quantity and message your teeth and gums before brushing your teeth. This will make teeth stronger. In India this mixture is used to clean the mouth of young babies after birth till they start brushing teeth.
- Rubbing mustard oil on palm and feet before going to sleep helps in relieving tiredness and gives you good sleep.
- It is also natural mosquito repellent. Apply mustard oil on hands and legs to keep mosquitoes away.
- Applying mustard oil on hair helps to delay graying of hair and provides excellent conditioning.
- When you have common cold, blocked nose and headache. Put few drops of mustard oil in nostrils and inhale for instant relief.
- Since the oil has warming and healing effect on body it is good to apply to treat joint pains, chest pain, and bronchitis. Mustard oil is good to treat swollen feet in winter. Apply a mixture of lukewarm mustard oil with fasting salt on feet.
- To treat burn, instead of applying water or ice, apply some mustard oil instantly, followed by the cream to treat burns, this helps to prevent formation of pus.