Mother care is forever, Nursery care only for a few days post delivery.
A mother needs to bond, love, feed and watch the baby grow-up. Her breast milk shall ever remain the chief source of nutrition and inspiration for the baby.
A large number of babies are delivered in hospitals and nursing homes of which around 70% deliveries are cesarean and not normal. In most of theses institutions, babies are kept separately in baby nurseries to avoid infection. They are brought to the mother only for feeding. This usually lasts for 5-6 days till the mother and the baby go home.
But in recent times due to our eating habits and lifestyle, mothers are unable to breast feed and the baby is given formula milk a few days after the delivery. Babies being kept in nurseries is also a major reason why mothers don’t get used to the baby and breast feeding soon. But many doctors suggest the mother to be with the child for exclusive breast feeding.Which is not possible without her continuous presence.
Mother care v/s Nursery Care:
- It promotes good milk supply and thus provides nourishment, antibodies and many health benefits.
- Colostrum, the first thick milk produced for first few days transfer many antibodies. Without mother’s continuos presence this is wasted.
- Helps the baby clear the first stool.
- Lessens the chances of lack of lactation or delayed lactation.
- Absence of mother can cause ‘Nipple confusion’ to the child and the baby may not like mother feed after taking bottle feed.
- Absence of baby by the side increases mother’s anxiety . It is also difficult to adjust frequent baby feeds in the nursery.
- The baby can feel secure, get to feel the heartbeat of the mother and help in building emotional bonding.
- Mother Care in her hospital room provides a good rehearsal for the mother to take care of the child at home.
- Chances of sepsis are much less.
- Baby is able to tell the difference between the mother’s smell and that of any other person.
The baby’s attachment instinct is highest during first few days and mother’s attachment has a positive impact on brain development. Just being with each other has a positive impact on mother and child relationship.