Safed petha from Agra, India is world famous. Not only is it delicious and contains fruit fiber, it is also very healthy. Safed petha is made by drying pieces of ash gourd in lime water, then cooking these pieces in sugar, which adds to its sweet flavor while acting as a natural preservative. Safed petha contains iron, calcium, sulfur, and Vitamins A, B, C, and E, as well as protein. 100 grams of safed petha contains 34 grams of protein. Petha is made from the ash gourd and, by its very nature, has a cooling effect on our system. Therefore, it should be avoided when you have a fever, cold, cough, or sinus infection.
The PH of our blood is between 7.35 and 7.46, making it 80% alkaline, whereas the foods we eat are basically acidic. Only fruits and raw vegetables are alkaline, but when mixed with salt, they lose this quality. Petha juice is especially beneficial, as it is 100% alkaline. Most of the health problems we deal with in modern times are due to acidic nature of the food we eat. The more acidic the food, the more harmful it is, and vice versa.
Safed petha has a number of health benefits, including:
- It is beneficial for people who have heart diseases as ash gourd juice helps to open up blocked arteries. It also improves the functioning of the pancreas and stimulates insulin, thereby making it good for patients suffering from diabetes.
- It has cooling effect on our system, which makes it beneficial to those people who suffer from frequent burning sensations in their stomach, lungs, hands, and feet. It can also cool our digestive systems, making it beneficial in diminishing the effects of stomach infection, indigestion, acid reflux, liver enlargement, and constipation.
- Petha juice is very helpful in curing bleeding in any part of body (such as the nose or gums), piles, or vomiting. Usually, such types of bleeding happen due to an imbalance in body temperature. When the temperature inside our body rises beyond a certain limit, bleeding can occur. Due to the cooling nature of petha, it can help to maintain body temperature and prevent such issues.
- In this same way, petha juice can help people suffering from high blood pressure. Consuming fried foods, spicy foods, or trans tfats can heighten body temperature. This causes issues inside the body and is the main reason for raising blood pressure levels.
- Petha juice also helps diminish boils, heat rashes, and pimples in people who suffer from such ailments (especially children.)
- Petha juice also has detoxifying properties, hence making it good to consume if you suffer from a urinary tract infection, kidney problems, or stones in the kidney, gallbladder, or bladder.
- Petha is rich in calcium and phosphorus, making it good for our bones.
- Petha is also an excellent method of treating asthma. Drinking a glass of petha juice everyday has been shown to keep asthma in control.
- Petha juice is also a good way to control unwanted weight gains. Drinking petha juice instead of tea or coffee can better curb your appetite.
- People who like to have sweets can instead eat petha sweets. Although they contain sugar, petha sweets can work as a substitute when petha juice is unavailable or when someone strongly dislikes the juice.
So, if you have any of the above health problems, or are prone to any of them, start drinking petha juice or consuming petha sweets. It is recommended that adults drink 200-250ml of petha juice a day, whereas people with heart problems, high blood pressure, or who are obese should drink 700ml of petha juice.