“My grandmother is 86 and she still manages to climb up the stairs” – Meena said to her classmate during lunch time. “You know what?” Meena continued, “She takes Haldi Doodh every time she has body-ache and within a few hours she recovers and she never goes to the doctor. She always says that her kitchen is the best doctor.”
Meena was trying hard to tell her friend about her grandma’s old age ‘Home remedies.’
In the past, when the medical facilities were restricted to very few people especially in rural areas in India, the villagers used spices and herbs for various treatments and for a healthy body. Less do people today know that some of these remedies can also be used today, provided that you have a proper knowledge about it.
Here is List of Spices that can be used to get healthy and cure many health problems.
- Green chilies – These are a good source of Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Consuming green chilies is good for your skin.
- Coriander – It is comprised of calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin D. Green coriander has enzymes that can increase your appetite. Hence, it is used in ‘Chutney’ and dips across the world.
- Turmeric – The King of all spices. It is widely used in the South East Asian countries. Turmeric is known for its antibacterial properties and hence used to cure cuts and wounds. It is consumed to keep the body warm. It works wonders to give relief from common cold and body pain, when consumed with milk. Turmeric consists of Vitamin D and calcium which are beneficial for bones.
- Cumin – Cumin is a good source of iron, Vitamin D, Vitamin B and calcium. Therefore the daily intake of cumin helps to get the essential vitamins and minerals.
- Black pepper – The iron content is the highest in black pepper. Water boiled with powdered black pepper , strained and consumed helps fight against cold.
- Fenugreek – It has comparatively more iron, calcium and digestive enzymes.
- Jaiphal (Mace) – It is very warm spice naturally and therefore it is used in winters while cooking food to keep the body warm. During winters, giving a few drops of mace syrup to children (i.e. made by rubbing mace with water) can protect them from common cold and cough.
- Cloves – Cloves is known to be a natural pain reliever and clove oil is used to cure dental problems.
List of spices and mixtures for Natural Home Remedies
Carom Seeds for Cold
Carom Seeds: Boil 2 cups of water with a tsp full of carom seeds (ajwain) and 1 tsp of tulsi leaves, Drink this mixture before bedtime. It helps to fight against cold & cough and also helps in relieving chest congestion.
Fennel seed powder for Constipation
Boil one cup water. remove from heat. Add 1/2 tsp fennel seed powder to it. Drink warm before bedtime.
Spice mix for Migraine headaches
1/2 Tsp Ajwain, 1/2 tsp powdered pepper, 1 cm ginger crushed, 1/2 tsp tea leaves, 2 pinched turmeric. Muddle all these ingredients in a cup. Boil water along with this spice mix for 10 minutes. Drink while hot. Consume this every day for one month and you will notice that your headaches have reduced.