Honey has been used for culinary purposes for its sweet taste and distinct flavor. It has also been used as an ingredient in home remedies to cure diseases due to its antiseptic, antioxidant and cleansing properties.
Pure honey is a sweet food made by bees using nectar from flowers. Fresh honey is a supersaturated liquid containing glucose and very little water 0.6% and hence it is usually free from bacterial attack and can be stored for long. However getting pure honey is a troublesome job. It is extracted by honey sellers from the honeybee nest which is occupied by thousands of honey bees .
Now a days, to meet the market demand many companies are producing artificial honey from using nectar of different plants which taste like honey, but does not a have any benefit apart from increasing the sugar in the body. The question comes how to identify which is pure honey?
There are some tricks:
- Take a glass filled with water and then put a drop of honey if it goes down and settle in the base then it is pure honey if it gets dissolved in water before reaching the base then it is impure.
- If you pour honey on a plate , and it comes down rolling like a snake then it is pure but if while falling it is spread over the plate then it is not pure.
- Pure honey has an aroma, & in the winter, it tends to contract while in summer it melts. Impure honey has the same consistency and is not affected by weather.
- Pure honey does not leave any mark if it falls on cloth, but impure honey does leave a mark.
- Pure honey is transparent, but impure honey is semi-transparent. In pure honey, if a honey bee falls she will not get entangled & she will be able to free herself, but in impure honey, honey bee will get stuck.
- Pure honey, if put in the eyes will cause a slight irritation, but will not be sticky and after some time you will feel a cooling sensation.
- Put few drops of honey on a thread or a stick and put it on fire. If it gets burn by just touching fire then it is pure.