High blood pressure is a very common disease of modern times. It is no longer limited to rich and old people . It can happen to anybody. The common symptoms are frequent headache, problem in breathing, reeling of head, sudden blackout, feeling weakness throughout the day, swelling in hands and legs.
Irregular diet, tension in domestic life, work pressure, obesity and heredity play an important role in this disease.
High blood pressure affects kidney and heart.
The easiest way to keep high blood pressure in control is to check your blood pressure daily. This can be done by visiting any nearby clinic or at home by blood pressure monitoring machine which is available in the market at a decent price.
There are few guidelines to be followed before measuring the blood pressure –
- Before checking BP do not smoke or have tea or coffee for 30 minutes.
- Go to washroom and relieve yourself.
- Then sit quietly for 5 minutes. Always sit straight and relaxed.
- Keep the hand straight in a horizontal position or give rest to your elbow by placing it on a table.
There are some instances when the blood pressure of a normal person may show high reading these conditions should be avoided while measuring blood pressure –
- Never check BP after bath as bathing in cold water can raise your BP for some time and then it comes down.
- Never check BP after having meal as it will show a higher BP than what it actually is.
Similarly, BP will be high if we check it after exercising or running.
A person may show higher BP if there is too much noise or tension. Like we see whenever there is a fight at home or any tension we perspire and can have high BP.
There are some general lifestyle patterns to keep high blood pressure in control.
- Eat balanced diet.
- Include fruits, vegetables and fibrous food. Avoid food rich in cholesterol.
- Eat less salt.
- Keep your weight under control.
- Be physically active. Participate in household chores. Go for a morning walk and exercise for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Take prescribed medicines by doctor.
- Avoid tension/stress and be happy.