Everyone wants to stay fit and consume healthy foods. But cooking healthy is not as easy as it looks. Here are some easy healthy cooking tips
Cooking is an art and everybody cooks the same thing differently. Some people like to cook elaborate festive recipes while some just like to bring home packaged food and then add some ingredients to make it innovative and pseudo home cooked food.
The most important thing about cooking is the nutritional value of the food. Food looses its nutrition in the cooking process so it is very important to cook your food the right way to avoid excess loss of nutrition. It is a fact that raw vegetables and fruits have more nutrition than what they are left with after being cooked. Im sure we all love butter in our food and salt too, so after some cooking methods that we use our so called healthy vegetables and fruits may not even be close to healthy foods.
Here are some cooking tips to keep your meals healthy:
- Steamed food has more nutrition than fried. Similarly microwaved food has more nutrition than grilled. But consuming microwave food regularly is bad for health.
- Its good to consume some vegetables with skin like Potatoes, carrots, horse radish etc .Vegetables which are cooked without peeling should be washed thoroughly as the skin contains particles of pesticides , dirt and germs of water with which they are washed by sellers to keep fresh.
- Vegetables which are cooked after peeling should also be washed and then peeled. Take out the peel and then cut the vegetables. Do not wash vegetables after peeling and cutting them. While cooking green leafy vegetables always wash them thoroughly before cutting them.
- Never cut vegetables beforehand and keep. Always cut vegetables while cooking or just few minutes in advance. Cutting vegetables in advance can cause loss on nutrition. If you are making salad then try to keep the peel intact and always cut them just before serving.
- Always wash your knife and hands with soap before cutting vegetables as there are always germs present in our hands which get transferred to vegetables. Similarly the knife may have dust particles.
- Always cook vegetables with a lid on. This is not only helps in quick cooking but also keeps the nutrition and flavor intact. Avoid overcooking food as it kills nutrition.
- If you need to add water in your curry, add warm water in smaller quantities or just the required amount. Do not add more water thinking that it will evaporate in the process. The water does evaporate and so do the nutrients
- If you are cooking any lentil do not use cooking soda to tenderize them. It kills their protein. Buy a good quality lentils instead.
- While cooking rice , wash it 2 times only and then add water that is required. Do not add excess water and then drain it. Instead cook rice in pressure cooker or rice cooker to reserve its flavors and nutrients
- It is a good habit to use freshly grounded spices like ginger, garlic, black pepper than using the bottled one. The packaged spices have preservatives while the freshly grounded ginger garlic has more flavor and benefits.
Similarly try to buy vegetables and fruits fresh or keep them maximum for a week in the refrigerator. Just inculcate these 10 small habits in your daily routine for a healthy living.