Rohan was very happy today. It has been raining since early morning, and he was sure that his school bus will not be able make it due to water logging around his house. He got up from his bed and called his sister, ‘Nancy wake up, let’s make paper boats’. Nancy was sleeping on an adjacent bed. Rohan again called, but Nancy did not reply. Rohan put his hand on her forehead and found out that she was having fever. He ran out and called his mother.
Fever, cough and cold are disease that are common during rainy season, and children, due to their weak immunity, are vulnerable to them. You must take precautions during Rainy season to avoid bacterial or viral diseases. Changes in temperature and humidity provide a perfect conditions for bacterias & viruses to breed & propagate.Thus we find more instances of cold, cough, diarrhea, food positioning, viral fever, malaria, dengue and typhoid in rainy season than in any other seasons.
Due to germs present in rain water people often get skin diseases such as ringworms, rashes and skin infections.
To avoid these health problems it is necessary to take some precautions.
- Never let rain water accumulate, in your house or your neighborhood.
- Sprinkle bleaching powder, kerosene oil or any other insect killer regularly around your house.
- Sleep under mosquito nets . these are safer than using mosquito coils.
- Always keep your food covered, as un-covered food attracts insects and houseflies that carry germs.
- Try to eat fresh food. Even if you are eating food cooked in the morning, Warm it before consuming it – This will kill any bacteria that may be present.
- Avoid eating street food or food served in an un-hygienic place.
- Drink purified or boiled water.
- Wash your vegetables thoroughly before cooking. You can put some potassium permanganate in the water for washing vegetables.
- Wash your hands and feet with antiseptic soap, first thing after coming back home.
- Add a few drops of Dettol or Savlon(antiseptic liquid) in water for washing cloths.
- Avoid eating curd, icecream and cold drinks.
- If you get drenched due to rain, try to change into dry clothes as soon as possible. Rain water contains germs and wearing wet cloths for long increases the chances of infection.
- Wear comfortable cloths so that, if you get drenched, it is easier to take them off.
- If you have a cut or wound then you must protect it from rain water.
- It is important to note that your body immunity is weak during rainy season, and it is important to eat a balanced diet. Take vitamin-C supplements or fruits containing Vitamin-C , Since Vitamin-C helps in fighting against viral and bacterial diseases.