Papaya is highly nutritious fruit. It not only tastes good but has a good amount of vitamins and minerals. The whole papaya tree has medicinal uses.
Ripe papaya is a good appetizer. It is rich in carbohydrate, minerals and vitamins.. It has protein 0.5 %, cholesterol 0.4 % minerals 0.1 % ,vitamin A 15 %, vitamin c 16 % and iron. It has papain and chymopapain enzymes, Papain help in digesting protein. This is the reason why papaya is used in cooking meat as it help in breaking the protein in meat. Chymopapain helps in controlling uric acid in the blood. Excess of uric acid lead to joint pain and stone in the gall bladder.
It ranks second in terms of Vitamin A content after mango. Thus it is good for eye sight and is used to cure Night blindness.
It has fibre and digestive enzymes which prevent cancer in the large intestine. It helps in excreting out bad undigested food from the large intestine. It is good in constipation.
Papaya also controls the bad cholesterol in blood and promotes good cholesterol.
It has folic acid which help in production of amino acid in body. Amino acid makes blood vessels flexible which indirectly help in good blood circulation and prevent heart attacks.
Commercially ripe papaya is used in making candy, jelly, chutney, salad and desserts.
Raw papaya is used in curries. The raw papaya milk is used in many medicines. Raw papaya milk is dried to make papain which is used in making digestive tonics.
Some general health benefits from papaya is listed below:
- Papaya is known to cure digestive problems. If a bowl of ripe papaya is eaten daily for a month then it cures constipation problem.
- Papaya helps in controlling acidity in the stomach.
- Papaya seeds can flush out intestinal/stomach worms – eat a spoonful of papaya seeds in the night with water.
- Pregnant women should not have papaya because it can lead to miscarriage
- Diabetes patient should avoid papaya as it has high amount of glucose.
- Always buy fresh and whole papaya and then cut it at home.