Fenugreek has been used since ages across the world. Seeds of fenugreek are used as a spice, and fresh leaves of fenugreek are used as a vegetable or flavouring agent. Dry seeds are available round the year and can be stored for up to 2 years in air tight containers. Fresh leaves are mainly found during the winter season. The Leaves of fenugreek can be sundried, packaged and used throughout the year.
Fenugreek not only enhances the flavor of any recipe but also add nutrition. Fenugreek can be used in following ways :
While cooking , fenugreek seeds are mainly used for tempering which add aroma to any food. Adding fenugreek seeds in this way aid in digestion of the food . For example while cooking cauliflower and cabbage many people add fenugreek seeds in the hot oil until they crackle, before the vegetables.
Fresh fenugreek leaves are cooked as ‘ Saag’ , mixed with wheat flour to make paratha, or used in curries to add flavor.
Apart from its culinary uses it also has some medicinal properties.
- Fenugreek is good in respiratory problems like bronchitis, influenza, sinus, cold and cough.
- People who are anemic and cannot have iron supplements can benefit by adding fenugreek to their diet.
- Fenugreek is also known for its pain reliving properties and pro-lactation properties and hence In India, after delivery of a child, the mother is often given sweets containing fenugreek. It is known to relive back pain after delivery and aids by providing sufficient lactation for the child.
- Fenugreek leaves are also known for their anti allergy properties. In case of any allergy chew some fenugreek leaves for 5-6 days , it does help.
- Fenugreek is also used for beautification purposes. In case of dandruff soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds for 2 hours and then grind it into paste. Apply this paste on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Regular application can removes dandruff.
- Using fenugreek paste on face help in curing pimples and reducing marks.
- Fenugreek is also beneficial to people having diabetes. As per recent researches if you have 25 grams of fenugreek seeds everyday it helps to control diabetes to a great extent.
- Fenugreek is also known for its anti gastric properties and is used in many ayurvedic medicines that relieve acidity & gastric problems.Chewing fenugreek seeds everyday in empty stomach help to minimize the occurrence of gastric and acidity problem.