Aloe Vera is a medicinal plant. In India it is also known as ‘ Ghritkumari’.In Indian Ayurveda Aloe Vera is often referred to as ‘ Sanjivani’ due to its health promoting properties.It has 18 minerals, 15 amino acid and 12 vitamins. In ancient times Aloe Vera was used to treat stomach related problems.
Aloe Vera has over 200 varieties but only 15 of them are useful.We can use the pulp/jelly from the leaves of Aloe Vera. We can also extract the juice from the flesh/jelly in the leaves by using an electric Juicer.
- Aloe Vera is known to have cooling properties. Having 3-4 tablespoons of Aloe Vera juice in the morning can cure many stomach related problems. Children who complain of acidity, can be given 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera juice in the morning for a month to get rid of their problem.
- Aloe Vera also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.Applying Aloe Vera on cut or wound can speed up the healing process.
- Aloe Vera can control the blood sugar level and hence is recommended to people having diabetes, piles and kidney problems.
- Aloe Vera has high iron content , hence it is good for anemic people. Aloe Vera can be used to treat a person having a low blood count or a person who suffered loss of blood due to accidents, miscarriage or during childbirth.
- Aloe Vera is also being used in may cosmetic products. It works as a natural cleanser and bleach. Aloe Vera is known to cure many skin diseases such as dry skin, pimples, wrinkles, dark circles and pigmentation. If you suffer from any of these skin problems then buy some Aloe Vera leaves, extract the pulp from the leaves and rub this pulp over the affected area (twice daily). Within a month you will be able to see a difference. If you cannot find Aloe Vera leaves, then there are many Aloe Vera based soap, creams, lotions and gels available in the market that you can try.
- Aloe Vera juice is an excellent conditioner too. Apply Aloe Vera juice on your hair and rinse. Alternatively you can mix Aloe Vera juice with henna and apply as a hair pack. Aloe Vera based shampoos and conditioners are also available in the market.
Aloe Vera can be easily be grown in your house. You can buy little saplings that are available in the market/nursery. They require very little water and sunlight to grow.However remember to use a large pot, since they can grow quite fast and create numerous shoots.