My grandfather turned 85 today. I wished him in the morning and asked, baba how are you feeling?. Baba smiled and said I have become 1 more year younger. Then both of us laughed. Baba can still go on morning walk without anybody’s support and he does all his work by himself. The reason to his fitness , I think is his never give up attitude and his food habit. Baba begins his day by having a glass of water and daily after coming back from walk he has 1-2 guavas. That is all he has for his breakfast.
Guava is more nutritious than apple. Guava by nature is cold and is thus an excellent detoxifier. It helps in giving instant energy. Guava has 10.5 % protein, 2% calcium,1.01 % Vitamin B and 1 % vitamin C. Guava is ranked in number three in fruits according to its Vitamin C content, the first two being Aamla and cherry. Both are high in Vitamin C but since they are usually not eaten as fruits thus guava as a fruit to meet need of vitamin C is excellent. Vitamin C is mostly found in the peel of guava and as we eat the pulp the quantity of vitamin c is reduced. So it is advised not to peel guava.
The more ripe the guava is the more vitamin C it has. The main acid inside guava is citric acid.
Apart from having protein and vitamin, guava is rich in vegetable fibre and hence can be eaten as wholesome meal. It has less calorie and thus it is suitable for people who want to loose weight or do not want to eat much in order to be fit.
Apart from being a nutritious fruit guava is used in home remedies.
- Guava is an excellent medicine in tooth ache. If you have toothache then simply chew some guava leaves twice a day or boil some guava leaves in water and gargle.
- Those who have constipation problem should eat guava continuously for a week and then see the result.
- To treat severe coughing roast a guava in sand and eat.
- To treat mouth ulcer make a paste of guava leaves and apply it in mouth.
- To treat loose motion mix guava juice with palm candy and drink .
- To treat severe headache make a paste of guava and apply it over forehead before sunrise . keep it for 5 mintues and wash it off. Practice this for a week.
- Apart from eaten as fruit guava has commercial value like mango. Gauva is used in different form like guava juice, jelly, jam and tinned guava.