The two main things that cause blockage in your arteries are cholesterol and triglycerides; therefore, there are foods to avoid for heart disease, foods that contain any or both cholesterol or triglycerides. In India, 500,000 patients die because of heart diseases due to the consumption of food which is not good for them. Many people are not aware of these killer foods.
Following is the list of 11 Foods To Avoid For Heart Disease :
- Almonds: Almonds are Loaded with magnesium, potassium, and other minerals, but they also have high content of mono-saturated fat. Four to five almonds will give you three grams of fat.
- Groundnuts: Groundnuts or peanuts are also high in fat content it’s good to avoid these nuts
- Butter & Oil: Butter and/or Ghee should be totally avoided because it contains large amount of cholesterol and triglycerides. One tablespoon of butter has five grams of fat. Very bad for health where as, Ghee is is rich in both cholesterol and triglyceride. One tablespoon of ghee has 12.8 grams of fat. Oil in food is the main source of triglyceride. Patients with heart disease should go for zero oil cooking or low oil foods.
- Cashew nuts: Cashew nuts have a high content of fat a mere ten grams of cashew has 4.38 grams of fat.
- Cheese: Everyone loves cheese, but cheese contains both cholesterol and triglyceride. Stay away from it completely
- Meat & Chicken: Chicken too contains cholesterol thus, it should be taken moderately. An intake of 100 grams of chicken gives you 64 mg of cholesterol and nine grams of fat. But red meat shold be avoided completely. Red meat like mutton, beef, and pork has the highest amount of cholesterol. 100 grams of mutton contains three grams of fat and 63 mg of cholesterol, pork contains 13 grams of fat and 63 mg of cholesterol, and beef contains 30 grams fat and 78 mg cholesterol.
- Coconut: Coconut is also rich in triglycerides. An intake of 100 grams of tender coconut will give you 33 grams of fat. Also, one tablespoon of coconut oil has 4.5 grams of fat.
- Cream: Cream has both cholesterol and triglycerides. Good to refrain from creamy foods
- Egg Yolk: A very obvious NO NO, the Egg yolk which is high in cholesterol. Egg whites are ok, but get rid of the yellows.
- Burgers and More: Fast food is also loaded with saturated fat and sodium (salt) and both are poisonous for patients with heart diseases. Fast food also has trans fat, which raises LDL: the bad cholesterol. In short, stay away from McDonalds. Ice cream too is made up of milk and cream and has a high amount of fat, but homemade ice cream made with double-toned milk can be given to patient with heart disease in a limited quantity.
- Red Wine: Red wine is known to be rich in antioxidants and increases your HDL cholesterol, but red wine is an alcohol and it also increases your heart rate and blood pressure; thus, increasing the risk of heart problems.
Lastly, one more item to add in the list of Foods To Avoid For Heart Disease is not actually food but habit. Staying healthy is important, be smoke free, smoking reduces your life expectancy by 15-25 years. If you are a smoker, you are twice as likely to have a heart attack than a non-smoker.