Last Monday, when I got up in the morning, I was feeling very lethargic to cook my breakfast. I opened my refrigerator and found few slices of paneer and bread lying. I quickly placed the paneer slices on bread, pour some mayonnaise and started eating. The taste was little ‘different’, but then I was in hurry, so I did not bother and ate the full sandwich. By evening I started feeling extreme pain in stomach, I was vomiting continuously. My bother took me to the doctor. After examination the doctor said that I had a food poisoning……..
Food poisoning is a common health problem in metros. Due to busy lifestyle, sometimes you do not get time to eat properly and sometimes you eat so much that you start feeling uncomfortable. Both children and adults like to eat outside food – your children like eating Pizzas, Burgers and soft drinks and you like it as it saves you from cooking at home after the days hectic work at office. Outside food is not always fresh. Moreover in some cases couples cook food in bulk, usually on weekends and then refrigerate it for days. When they come back home, they just warm it in microwave and eat. Due to these wrong food habits, incidences of food poisioning are common in urban areas.
Every time you are in hurry…..you do not have time to cook and eat. If you can eat your food on time then you feel privileged. Food which is kept for longer hours after being cooked develops bacterial infection. Their growth is very fast and the ideal temperature is between 5 degree to 60 degree Celsius. Dairy products are more prone to bacterial growth.
What can be done? Well, here are some suggestions and tips!
- Avoid eating out and eating food ordered from restaurants as much as possible. Since you cannot be sure if these have been made under hygienic condition or the ingredients used are fresh. They might be also using artificial chemicals and colour to make the food more appealing.
- Avoid the tendency of storing bulk vegetables in your refrigerator. Buy stuffs which you can eat within a week. Cook enough food so that you need not keep the leftover food in refrigerator and finish off over days.
- Few food items should be kept in refrigerator like bread, cakes, pastries, dairy products, sweets as they are very prone to develop bacteria.
- Make sure that your refrigerator is operating 24x 7. Some people have the tendency of switching off the refrigerator at night to control electric bills. Invest in a good refrigerator from a known brand that will save energy. You should also ensure servicing or maintenance of your refrigerator once in six months.
- If you are keeping food in refrigerator then keeping it clean and odor free is required. Never keep cooked and raw food items together. If you are keeping fish, meat or chicken, then keep it in separate box and use it within one or two days.
- Always warm your food before eating, warming kill bacteria.
- The raw fruits and vegetables can also cause you food poisoning if they are not carefully chosen while buying. Buy vegetables and fruits from open market where you can see the quality. Avoid packaged fruits and vegetables. It is also important to wash your fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
In summary, around 65 % health problems are caused by wrong lifestyle. Food habit is the main culprit so eat fresh and healthy and remain healthy.