I am sure you all know the relation between the food we eat and our immune system. Lets just dig a bit deeper into this subject. As we all know, our health is dependent on our immune system as it saves us from many bacterial infections and viral diseases. The important part is, that immunity depends on the food we intake. Or simply our eating habits. Some immunity friendly foods are listed below:
- Beta carotene – It helps to fight viral and bacterial infection. Some common sources of beta carotene are carrots, mango, papaya, orange, custard apple and green and leafy vegetables.
In a study of people aged between 56-60 it was found that consumption of beta carotene rich food helped to increase of immunity cells and when they discontinued taking such foods the number of immune cells came back to previous rate or in some cases even lesser.
- Zinc enriched foods – Zinc increases antibodies, T cells and white blood cells. It has been observed that children who are deficit in zinc intake are more prone to common cold and flu. According to Dr. Novera of American National Institute of health zinc helps in arresting the age related decrease in immunity. In old age thymus gland which help in immunity building tend to slow down the secretion. In a study he found that when zinc enriched food were given to old people there was an effective growth in the secretion from thymus gland. Some common sources of zinc are milk, beans, nuts and grain.
- Garlic – Garlic is another wonder food for our immune system. Garlic is antiviral, anti bacterial and has anticancer properties. It is recommend to take 1.8 grams of garlic every day.
- Low fat food – It is very important to know the difference between good fat and harmful fat. Cod liver oil has omega 3 fatty acids , which are good for building immunity system. On the other hand food which are fried and have excess oil and/or clarifies butter are bad for our health as they contribute to obesity, heart diseases, joint problems and many such other problems.
- Vegetables and fruits- Vegetables and fruits are high in plant fiber, vitamins, beta carotene and minerals which help in building immunity. In a study in Germany it was found that white blood cells of all vegetarian people are 2 times more effective to fight tumor cells than of people who are primarily non vegetarian.
I hope all the above immunity friendly foods are a part of your daily diet. If not, plan your meals around these foods for a healthier immune system.