Our food habit has a direct impact on our health for example if you continuously have fast food for a month then you are bound to gain weight or if you have bitter gourd and neem juice for a month then your sugar level will be under control, provided you avoid sugar in any form.
Improper food is the main cause of health problems and a right diet can make us healthy. When we are talking about food habit that means food which is suitable as per our body composition and current health problem.
If the food is taken in a proper way then it works as a health tonic. There are some general rule:
Cereals , staples and lentils
- Always eat less than your appetite.
- Eat your favorite dishes at last. This way you will not overeat as your stomach will be filled.
- Do not sieve flour, eat it along with the husk, it has fiber which make it easily digestible, and it is healthy.
- Eat dalia(broken wheat) or moong dal at least once a week.
- Avoid sour food, it causes skin diseases.
- Include a dal recipe in your daily meal if you are strictly vegetarian. Dal is a natural source of protein. You can try to cook mixed dal or add vegetables to make it more tasty as well as healthy.
- Avoid eating polished rice. Eat rice in small quantity and preferably brown rice.
Sugar and salt
- Use less salt in your food. An adult should have only 0.5 mg salt per day. Avoid eating raw salt.
- Replace sugar with jaggery.
- Avoid having ghee and sugar in equal quantity at a time. It is poisonous.
- Eat seasonal fruits than fruits which are available in sealed packs and is found throughout the year.
- Eat fruits preferably before noon or at least before sunset. Some fruits like apple, cherries, strawberries, mango can be eaten throughout the day.
- Banana, Jamun and watermelon are cooling by nature so avoid drinking water after eating them.
- Avoid eating fruits like dates, banana, raisins, grapes,apple, pear, mango, guava if you are diabetic.
- Eat vegetarian food.
- Eat seasonal vegetables.
- Eat fresh vegetables particularly the green vegetables. Avoid keeping them in refrigerators for more than 4 days.
- Wash the vegetables before cutting, do not keep cut vegetables for long, ut them at the time of cooking and Do not overcook the vegetables.
Meat, fish and chicken
- Avoid red meat, instead have fish and chicken. Fish has omega3 fatty acid which increases the immunity. Chicken is a good source of protein. Cook fish and chicken properly and adequately.
- Drink water for good health as it flushes out toxins.
- Drink fruit juices and sherbet if you do not like to have plain water.
- Drink purified water as drinking impure water can cause harm then benefit.