Being old is a natural process but with old age comes different disease. If we study today’s census then we will find that across the globe we can see the percentage of old people growing. Today in most of the families both the spouse need to go out and work and the old are left out in home. In south east Asian counties like China & India the system of joint family enforces the younger members of a family to supports older members, but in most of the other parts of the world where we primarily find nuclear families, the old are either left alone in home or stay in old age home.
In old age people loose their immunity and thus old people are more sensitive to life style disease like diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol and heart disease. Old people also face a problem of memory loss or Alzheimer , most of the time they forget taking their medicine. It is important for other members of family to remind them to take their medicine. There are few points to remember if you have an old person at home.
- Give their food on time. The digestive system of old people are rather weak and hence they eat in small quantities. It is important to maintain a timetable for eating. Too much gap can cause trouble in digestion.
- Food should be prepared as per their health condition like if the person is having diabetes then avoid sugar in tea. For high blood pressure patients use minimum salt. Put less chilly and spices in their food even if they want to eat spicy and rich food try to avoid it and explain them the reason. . Do not get angry if you have to cook some food separately for old people…. Remember they would have done that when you were a child.
- Engage & Interact with them. Let them sit with you, let them wear whatever they want. I have seen some families where they take old members with them for shopping and buy whatever they like. Remember they have spent their life shopping for you.
- Make them sleep in a noise free room. Most of the time they have sleeping disorder and hence noise will disturb them.
- Encourage them to take up a hobby like morning walk or listening to music or photography which will engage them while you are busy in some work.
- Provide them a healthy social life. During old age people tend to feel lonely as they do not have any active work life. Let them visit their relatives and friends.