Meera has been in the hospital for the past four days. Last week she came home from school and she was sweating extensively due to the heat outside. She turned on the AC and then drank a cold water from the refrigerator. By the end of the day she started feeling uneasy, started to sneeze, and felt pain in her throat. Her parents then took her to the doctor where the doctor confirmed that Meera has a throat infection.
So was it because of cold water that Meera got sick?
Now-a-days in most of offices, they have centralized Air conditioning and the temperature indoors is between 18-22 degrees centigrade and the temperature outside the office is between 30-35 degree centigrade. So when you go outside or enter the office, the body experiences a sudden change in temperature. Sometimes you may be required to go outside two to three times a day and each time the body has to adjust to these changes. However, once you go home, most of the time people go to the refrigerator and sip cold water to quench your thirst. This frequent change in body temperature affects the throat and sometimes when the infection is severe, it can make you feel sick.
So the answer to Is Drinking Cold Water Good For You? is a Big NO. Here are some precautions that can avoid this situation –
- First whenever you need to go out of your office or need to come back, wait in the corridor for five to six minutes. The temperature inside the corridor is usually less than the outside temperature, but more than inside. This will give your body a means to adjust to the outside temperature.
- Take a deep breath and hold you respiration before stepping into the AC room. Once you have entered slowly, release your breath.
- If you are travelling in AC car then turn off the AC five minutes before stepping out.
- Similarly if you are at home and need to go out, turn off AC five minutes before stepping out.
- Do not drink cold water after coming from outside. Wait five to ten minutes, relax, and then have water at room temperature or mixed water.
- Try to avoid ice cream or cold drinks after coming from outside.
- If you feel uneasy, you should take a rest and do not work.
- If you have any pain in your throat and a fever you should consult a doctor.
Gargling with salt water can help too.