According to Indian Ayurveda our food habits determine our health and temperament. It is not only what you eat but how and when you eat is also methodically written in Ayurveda. To stay healthy, a lot depends on your after food habits, a good digestion system is important to stay fit. Here in this article, I will explain few do’s and don’ts after having your meal.
- After having your lunch, make a habit of having a glass of buttermilk with sugar or fasting salt. It helps to digest the food. At the same time it gives you extra nutrient.
- Take a glass of warm milk after your dinner at night. It helps you to get a good sleep.
- Sleeping for hours after an afternoon meal can make you lethargic, take a small nap of 20-30 minutes after lunch.
- At night after dinner, make it a point to go for a short walk.
- Do not go to sleep immediately after having dinner. Our digestive process is very slow at night since we do not engage in much physical acitivity. If you go to sleep after having your meal, it will further affect your digestive system. Give a gap of at least 2 hrs between meal and bed time, to help in good digestion of food.
- Try and always sleep on your left side. As per Ayurveda, human body has fire elements on the left hand side stomach so sleeping on the left side help in good digestion of food.
- A simple respiratory work out is recommended before sleeping at night. For this lie down on your back. Count and take deep breath for 10 times. Then turn towards right and again take deep breath and count 10 times. Finally turn on your left side and count 10 times. Now relax and sleep on the left side only.
- Some people do not sleep immediately but keep watching television or working on computer. It hinders in digestion of food