Diabetes is called rich man’s diseases. This is not because it is primarily caused by increase of sugar in blood but also because it leads to many other health problems. A diabetic person takes time to recover from common cough and cold and infections. It is important to be cautious about what you eat but it is equally important to look out for any early symptoms of any feet infection. Gangrene is a common problem among patients with daibeties, taking care of you feet is as important as taking your medicines on time. As a daibetic you will need to inculcate certain lifestyle habits:
1) Try to keep your feet clean and dry. If you sweat too much then change your socks frequently. Do not leave any water in between toes as this can cause infection
2) Wash your feet every time you come from outside and wipe it thoroughly with a cotton cloth and leave it dry
3) Excess sugar in blood is harmful for legs so it is important to keep a check on your sugar level and take medicines as recommended
4) During winter try to keep your feet warm by wearing socks but never try to keep it near fireside
5) Avoid alcohol or tobacco as they will make your immunity even slow
6) If you get hurt or develop any wound in your feet, consult doctor immediately
7) If you tend to sweat very much then clean your feet by using spirit or any alcoholic spray and then dab antifungal and antibacterial powder
8) Never walk bare feet, always wear slippers or sandals and when going outside wear proper footwear that will cover whole feet
9) Keep a watch on your weight. Heavy weight is bad for your feet as they carry the entire weight of your body, A heavy body puts pressure on feet as a result they often get crooked, have problems in balancing the body and hence the person gets hurt.
10) Observe your feet every day and if you feel any cut, scratch or hard skin then consult the doctor.
11) Try to go for walk in morning and evening. This helps in good blood circulation in feet.
12) Avoid oil, ghee and butter as they increase the cholesterol in body, which accumulates in arteries and disturbs smooth blood circulation up to feet.
13) Wear comfortable and appropriate shoes.