When I came back home yesterday after my school, I saw some old people chatting with Grand Pa. Grand pa was in good mood and was smiling nad He even had his medicine for diabetes. Since Past two weaks grand pa was sitting at home. He was not going outside for his walks nad thus his friens came to meet him.
Grand pa had a wound in his right foot and has been showing to the doctor, My father said he has developed a foot ulcer because of his diabetes and might need to go for foot amputation. I was wondering if my grand pa will ever be able to go for his walks?
Diabetes disturbs our body functioning and brings in more and more complications in the body.Diabetic ulcer is one of the extreme effects of diabetes. It reduces the immunity power in our body. If it is not controlled then it can affect other parts of body like kidney, blood vessels, eyes and foot.
Due to diabetes the blood vessels and the immunity system weakens and hence a diabetic patient take longer time to cure any wound or cut than a normal person. Bacterial infection can occur in foot skin, connective tissues, in muscles or in bones. This infection can first occur in form of gangrin, this part has very slow circulation of blood. Antibiotics also do not work in this are thus in most cases tha part is removed by surgery. If it is not done so then the infection can spread and it can be fatal for the person. Thus a diabetic patient should take care so that he doesnot develop any infection in feet. It is also important that he should be made aware of the causes and symptoms of developing foot ulcer
Causes of foot ulcer –
1) Due to high diabetes a person may develop some infection .
2) Wearing wrong fitting shoes is the most common cause.
3) Any red mark or any wound, corns or wearing shoes for longer time can develop into a foot ulcer.
4) Any deformity in feet structure and not wearing prescribed shoes may also lead to infection.
5) People who have a prolonged history of diabetes, their nerves in feet become insensitive, they cannot walk properly and moreover while walking they put excessive pressure on feet.
6) Due to less sensation in feet they cannot realize if they have got any cut or wound in the feet. For example sometimes a pin pricked while they went for morning walk or a piece of stone came inside their shoes, they may walk with it for days and may not realize that their feet is wounded.
7) Athletes foot , sometimes we get fungal infection between the toes and with time it can develop into bacterial infection.
8) Sometimes we see that the toe nails are ingrown, this is a breeding ground for infection.
Symptoms of foot ulcer –
The most serious symptoms are – redness of feet, redness in a particular area of feet, any unusal nodule or swollenness in any particular area, bleeding or any secretion form any part of feet. high fever, extreme pain while walking, joint pains, insensitiveness in feet or continuous irritation in feet.
Precautions for diabetic patients –
The diabetic person should observe there feet daily and in any abnormality ,they should consult the doctor.
Clean their feet twice daily and apply moisturizer.
Wear specially recommended shoes.
Wear cotton shocks if possible. Do not wear shoes for long. Let your feet breath.
Cut nails frequently.
The prima need is to keep a control on blood sugar level.