In a recent study by an Australian scientist on heart attacks, it has been found that the possibility of developing heart problems due to depression is same as smoking. In a study by the National Heart Foundation, it has been shown that depression and lack of social contact is as unhealthy as smoking. Both lead to high blood pressure and increases in cholesterol levels.
In this study the reasons for death by heart attack were analyzed and found that people who were suffering from depression were three times more likely to die from a heart attack, compared to the general population. Although the study does not reveal any direct connection between depression and heart attacks, the relation is considered to be behavioral in origin. People who suffer from depression and avoid social contact are more likely to: smoke, drink alcohol, a poor diet, no exercise, and when sick, they avoid going to the doctor and take self medicines. These are all conditions which can lead to heart attacks.
Moreover depression, like smoking, is a lifestyle disease. The root cause of depression is anxiety and insecurity, and both are emotionally directed. In many cases depression can also lead to smoking which makes things worse. In reality it is easier to control depression than smoking, so if you can control your depression at early stage you can save yourself from an array of health problems triggered by depression.
- Health eating – food should be eaten at regular intervals. In many cases due to irregular diets, the blood glucose level goes down, leaving you feeling irritated and depressed. A good diet will not only keep you healthy but will keep your mind healthy too.
- Always try to maintain a “feel good” environment. Laughing is the best medicine, and the easiest way to get connected with people. Spend time with people or do things that make you feel good.
- Bring out the positive aspects of your personality. Depression comes from negativity, when you stress too much on your negativity. Start working on your positivity and let it suppress your negativity. You will see many people standing for you.
- Avoid jealousy – obsession, jealousy, greediness are all feelings that push you to depression. Accept your capacity for good will and try to improve on it, but never expect things beyond your capacity.
- Appreciation – try to look for good and positive side of any person or event. If you appreciate others, you will also be praised for good things and once are appreciated you will be motivated.
At the end, depression is as injurious to health as smoking so avoid depression and smoking to get a better health.