Rohan was a shy boy. He used to live on the second floor of our building with his parents. His parents were both working and hence after school he usually go to the our playground and used to watch children playing. Most of the time I had seen him sitting alone and staring at things. Yesterday when I was going to office I came to know that he did not go to school for last 2 months and that after his parents came to know about it they are planning to send him to a boarding school.
I went to see Rohan today morning and talked to his parents and then we took him to a child psychologist. The psychologist had a brief conversation with Rohan and his parents and found out that Rohan is under depression. His parents were shocked…they claimed that their child is normal and that he is mischievously doing disturbing things. Most of us also do not take depression seriously or in other words we are not ready to believe that we or our family members are under depression.
There are few symptoms of depression
• Frequent headache
• Feeling tired after some work.
• Faster heart beat.
• Felling low and lethargic.
• Getting a feeling of stomach upset.
• Getting irritated frequently.
• Lack of sleep.
• Going to the loo too many times or after short intervals.
• Taking more of tea, coffee or smoking.
• Not enjoying any funny moments.
• Disinterest in others’ life or activity.
• Being lonely and not socializing.
• Sitting quietly for long.
• Feeling everything is meaningless in life.
• Not feeling hungry or eating too much.
So if you have any of these five to six symptoms, it is a time to think and act. Visit a consultant for better understanding of the problem.Although depression is individual but it is a result of multiple factors and relations hence depression can be tackled only by joint effort of the person and the social setup in which he lives.