Today’s generation all want to look fit and slim, and for this it is important to control the food habit from childhood. There are some facts about obesity in children , which we all pretend to be false.
- Obesity is sometimes hereditary. If mother and father both are obese then there is 40% chances of the child being obese.
- Too much eating in childhood and eating fast food makes you obese for life.
Sometimes we see even though the parents are slim the child is an obese. In this case we need to look at the food habit of the child.
- Give food as per their appetite.-sometimes parents force their kids to have more food and this habit of eating more than what they want to result in obesity.
- Sometimes children have a habit of binging. Even though you have given them food just an hour ago they start demanding something to eat. In this situation either the parents give more food to satisfy their children or refuse to give wherein the child develops a mentality that mother is not giving food so they go outside and have whatever is available. Try to teach them that they should have food as per their appetite.
- Try to maintain a timetable for giving food. This will ensure that they get proper nutrition on time and will not throw tantrums for eating outside stuff as their stomach will be filled.
- Always make your children chew their food and do not just swallow food in a hurry. Chewing food not only help to digest the food, but it also controls the appetite.
- If your child is fat then do not let him believe that he is different from other children that he cannot have chocolates or sweets. This will bring low self confident. Make them understand that it is for their good health.
- Try infusing a habit of exercise since childhood. The best possible way is to follow a routine for family exercise. Keep it for 10 minutes only but this will not only ensure good health to your children but to you also. Take them for morning walk, cycling or swimming.
- Try to avoid chocolates, toffees and sweet candies. Best way is not to buy and keep it in the refrigerator. Make them understand that these are harmful for health.
- Avoid eating pizza, burger and fast food items frequently. Children learn from their parents.
- Include whole grain and multigrain in your meal. Similarly eat more vegetables and fruits.
- Last but not the least try giving variety of food and become a great chef at home.