Inability to relieve oneself on time or having pain or delayed excretion is called Constipation. Constipation is not a disease, but it can lead to many health problems.
Constipation can lead to headache, tiredness, sleeping disorder, diabetes, anemia and loss of appetite. Sometimes due to constipation there can be infection in the kidney and Constipation can also lead to piles.
There are various reasons for constipation. Sometimes it can happen due to wrong food habit, cold , cough or viral fever. Untimely eating habit, fasting, eating too much fried food and not doing any enough physical activity can cause Constipation.
To avoid constipation it is important to control food habit. Food should be easily palatable, balanced and on time. There are some do’s and don’t to follow if you have constipation.
- Do include green vegetables, fruits, and milk & milk products in your daily meal.
- Do maintain a time for excretion. Many people do not have this habit and relieve themselves only when the nature calls. Following a fixed period is very important .
- Develop a habit of going for a walk or exercise in open air. It promotes good blood circulation & good functioning of kidneys, which helps remove impurities and toxins from our body.
- There are certain foods that can help during constipation such as spinach, pigweed, Triphala and Gulkand.
- Take a glass of lukewarm milk and add 1 tablespoonful of cow ghee. Drink it before going to sleep. Regular usage will treat constipation within 4-5 days.
- You can use Fleet Enema in case of extreme constipation.
- In children giving 2 tablespoons of pure castor oil work wonders.
- Do eat whole grain cereals and un-sieved flour.
- Mix 1 tablespoonful of Isabgol ( husk) in warm water or milk and drink daily, before going to bed, for 10 days.
- Eat guava and water melon they help during constipation.
- Avoid alcohol, tea and coffee.
- Avoid eating heavy food like meat and too much fried food as theses are not easily digested.
- There are certain fruits and vegetables which should not be eaten if you have constipation problem. Fruits & Vegetables such as Banana, Papaya and Potato must be avoided.