When 29 year old Mona got married, she was chirpy and an active girl. She became everyone’s favorite within the first fee days. She loved doing her household chores and used to finish them in minutes. She loved cooking and prepared excellent Indian and western food. She was a fun loving person, very social and outgoing. Her in-laws and other family members were very happy with her. Days passed, and there her brother-in-laws marriage was to confirmed. Everyone is the family was hoping that Mona would take on the task of wedding panning and look after all arrangements. Mona was excited too, and took on the responsibility of being in charge of the wedding planning.
Surprisingly, she started to get tired very easily. She wanted to sit down only after few minutes of work. Some family members were angry and din’t like her behavior, where as some felt concerned so as why this was happening to her. Mona continued to feel helpless, and after working and sometimes she felt breathless.
One day while travelling in a bus, there was a doctor who was a co passenger. Mona told her about her problems, the doctor checked her nails and eyes and understood that she was anemic. Excess work pressure and irregular food habits had affected her health.
Anemia is a very common problem in women and the surprising fact is that many of us do not realize that we have anemia.
Let’s check out the symptoms of anemia –
- In women around 25 ml of blood goes out of the body during their periods. During this time women should intake iron supplements and eat iron enriched foods like fruits, whole grains and vegetables.
- During pregnancy women and the child also need more iron. With diet iron supplements and folic acid supplements are needed otherwise both women and child can be unhealthy.
- Some other reasons such as peptic ulcers, malaria and piles can also result in lack of blood in the body.
- In the initial stage it is difficult to identify anemia because feeling tired and lethargic can be due to many reasons. But a prolonged condition causes the symptoms of paleness of cornea and nails, and feeling breathless, and these conditions require a doctors’ intervention.
- Anemic women can have more bleeding during their periods which can last for a week to 10 days and they may feel extremely weak. Lack of blood in the body not only brings weakness, but also affects different organs such as heart, kidney and brain.
- Anemia affects our immunity also and thus anemic women are prone to viral and bacterial diseases.
Prevention is better than cure. The solution to the problem lies in early precautions and having a balanced diet since childhood. Parents, especially mothers, play a very important role in ensuring that their daughters also get good nutrition so that they do not have the problem of anemia.
Eat protein enriched diets, foods having a high content of iron and folic acid like milk and milk products, fish, green vegetables, spinach, carrot, peas, cabbage, and beetroot, which are all high in iron. You can also eat jaggery, raisins, dates and apples for extra iron requirements. Raw banana is excellent source of iron. Eat one raw banana either by boiling it or adding it to any curry preparation.