Aging: It is important to follow a healthy lifestyle at old age
Aging is a natural process and we all reach this stage eventually. But not everyone is comfortable with the whole aging process. Like, most of us don’t like revealing our age and this does not only apply to women.
So why we don’t like getting old? The reason behind this is with age our health deteriorates, our capacity to work slows down, have chances of developing health problems like diabetes, blood pressure, heart problems, arthritis, joint pains and many more.
If you ponder over the causes of aging health problems if we may call them , then you will find that these are all lifestyle problems or diseases which result from wrong lifestyle . For example, diabetes, which is caused due as the body is unable to produce enough insulin to absorb glucose. When you eat food with sugar, the body gets an excess pressure to produce more insulin, which after attaining a particular age is not possible. So if you avoid sugar in your food or intake appropriate amount of sugar you can avoid diabetes.
According to the Indian ‘ Bhagvat Gita ‘ saying -Once you grow old , it is important to follow a ‘ ‘satvik’ (simple) lifestyle to remain young.
Here are few things that you should follow as you enter your aging zone:
- It is important to exercise for all ages. If you exercise regularly then your muscles will be flexible and stronger, you will have better blood circulation and will not have arthritis , back problems or joint pain. If you cannot exercise due to some health reasons then walk for at least 20 minutes in the morning and afternoon.
- Have food on time, this helps in better digestion of food.
- Be vegetarian as the body capacity to digest hard protein of meat and chicken slows down.
- Alternatively eat fish as it has Omega 3 fatty acid that is good for heart or to meet protein requirement eat lentils, sprouted beans and soybean.
- Avoid excess chili, salt and sugar, excess chilies affect the digestive system , excess salt lead to high blood pressure and excess sugar can cause diabetes.
- Similarly avoid oil and fat. Use less oil while cooking and avoid fried food.
- Make sure you have fruits and vegetables, they have essential vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy and antioxidants which will help you to fight diseases.
- Have a serving of milk or milk products to provide for your calcium requirement.
- To retain mental peace try to practice yoga, meditation or take part in social and religious gathering.
- Spend time with family, share their responsibilities, take up a hobby like gardening or photography, that will keep you busy and your mind will not wander in unnecessary things.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol, they can only bring you health problems.
to sum up: aging is a natural process and its up to us if we want to grow younger or older.