Acidity problem is an usual complaint from people having a weak digestive system. Fast food and stress can also cause acidity. Medicines and home remedies can give only temporary relief. The physical symptoms of having acidity include headache, loss of appetite,head reeling, nausea, stomach pain and feeling bloated. Acidity problem , if not regulated can be very painful.
The root cause of acidity problem(most instances) is linked to your eating habit & food choices – Regular consumption coffee, alcohol, chocolate, fatty foods, acidic foods, and spicy foods.
Now a days it is common for both husband and wife to work, in order to sustain a better living standard. This culture promotes eating out & takeaways. Many people just do not find enough time to cook at home.
Many girls and boys are living alone in metro cities – away from their parents, for job or education and often consume fast food, packaged food & restaurant takeaways. Such foods have higher amounts of trans fat and spices with little or no fibre .Most of their nutrition is lost during processing. When we eat such foods on a regular basis our digestive system is affected.
Sometimes you may experience acidity when you are on antibiotics.This is because antibiotics kill both the good and bad bacteria in your body. Good bacterias that are found in intestines helps to digest food that we eat.When such bacterias are killed by heavy doses of antibiotics, we may have digestive problems.
Not chewing your food properly can also cause acidity problems. Many young people and children eat in a hurry and often swallow their food without properly chewing it.When we chew our food, the food is broken down into smaller bits and mixed with saliva that helps in digestion of food. When food is swallowed it takes more time to be digested and in the long run we can get acidity problem.
Sometimes fasting or skipping meals(or not eating food on time) can also lead to acidity. Highly acidic enzymes are secreted in our stomach to aid in digesting food. If our stomach is empty for long , these acidic enzymes can weakens our stomach & intestine leading to acidity problem.
To avoid or to get rid of acidity problem it is essential to modify our food habit.
- Avoid eating oily, fried and spicy food. Eat fibrous food such as vegetables, wholegrain and fruits.
- Avoid tension, frustration and anger. They can lead to indigestion.
- Avoid eating Bengal gram,toor dal, potato, rice and mustard oil. Instead eat wholegrain, unhusked wheat flour, green vegetables and vegetable oil.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day. Avoid drinking water with and immediately after having your meal. Drink water after 20 minutes of having your meals . Water consumed during your meal can dilutes the digestive enzymes in your stomach and your body takes more time to digest the food.
- Do some light exercises or practice yoga.
- Avoid tea, coffee and alcohol. They can cause and aggravate acidity problem.